The right size for the space
There are many things to consider when selecting a coffee table. Space is the most important consideration. Ensure the coffee table is the right size for the space where everyone can comfortable reach from the surrounding sofas or chairs. The coffee table should also be lower or the same height as the sofa seats. The length of the coffee table should be about two thirds the length of the sofa.
The style of the coffee table should complement the rest of your decor. Traditional coffee tables are often timber or wrought iron and suit classic and heritage style homes. Suitable coffee tables in contemporary homes are typically minimalist and trendy, particularly industrial and loft style apartments. Replica or Danish style coffee tables would suit a vintage or retro theme.
Coffee Table Tips from Carly Gilmore
Interior Designer, Windemere Interiors
- Select a durable finish for a long lasting coffee table
- Select glass or glass topped coffee tables in smaller areas to keep the space feeling open.
- Built in shelves or drawers are fantastic for storage.
- Don't be afraid to choose bold coffee tables that will add flair and personality.
- Try using an ottoman that can also double as seating.
- Mix and match between your coffee table and side tables.