The mystique of the oriental far East pared down with the simplicity of the West creates a contemporary and practical approach to Asian inspired interiors.
The East Meets West theme blends the rich, saturated colours of Asia, highlights of gilded coppers and opulent textured fabrics with the minimalist style of the West, with plain but striking colours and clean lines.
Windemere Interiors designer Lindy Evans, says the East Meets West theme is a popular and practical style for today, achieving a striking and dramatic look with less fuss than the traditional Asian interior. "Traditional Asian style is dramatic with intricate designs and patterns on an ornate scale. Gold, jade and other rich highlights create palatial and opulent splendour. East Meets West is a fusion of those elements pared down with simplicity representing the West. It's an easy theme to recreate in your home," she said.
Lindy has a few hints and tips for recreating the theme in your home:
- Start with a palette of strong Asian colours such deep reds, muddy greys and black on plain surfaces and textures.
- Create warm mood lighting using lamps, downlights and lanterns
- Consider living decoration such as lucky bamboo, orchids, jade plant or a goldfish for good fortune.
- Cluster a few decorator pieces such as an ornamental carving, ceramic statue or gilded jewellery box.
- Highlight with opulent, rich fabrics such as heavy satin or gold embroidered raw silk on cushions and bed throws.
- Light some incense to delight the senses and create a warm spicy ambience.